Sunday, July 6, 2014

Encouragement in Discipline

I remember when I was in 9th grade, I was sitting in the backseat of my Honey's (my grandma) car. We pulled up to a store and she asked if I wanted some gum from inside. Without even thinking I said the worse thing I could have ever said to her. I said "yea". The moment the words were out of my mouth, I immediately regretted my choice and tried to say, "I'm sorry, I meant yes ma'am". But I was too late, her arm stretched into that back seat to pop my mouth before I could open it to rectify the situation. I knew I had messed up and I desperately wanted to fix it because I did not want her disappointed in me.

I learned a few things from this situation. I learned that discipline is not just for the fun of it. When you love someone and are helping form their future, you want to point out the wrong behaviors and correct them when possible. As parents or teachers, we correct behaviors on a regular basis.

If we care enough to do that, how much more does God want that for us? Hebrews 12:7 tells us that God disciplines us because He loves us. Not every bad thing that happens to us is discipline but there is a cause and effect that directly results from sins. If you speed, you get pulled over and get a ticket. If you are sexually inpure, there are various issues that could arise there. If you are not a good steward of your money, bills go into collections.

Sometimes, though, I see people that I know are not doing the right thing, yet things seem to work out for them. Some people live outside of God's word, yet never seem to come across any real consequences. Hebrews 12:8 tells us that God only disciplines His own. He loves us enough to want all the rewards of living a righteous life. If you are His, discipline is a way of seeing God's love in your life.

This brings up the question, though, are you habitually living in a sin? Is God disciplining you?  If not, you may need to examine. Sometimes God gives us space to learn from our mistakes. However there is a chance that you are not His and need to evaluate that relationship.

Hebrews 12 goes on to tell us in verses 12 and 13 that the way we handle discipline can be an encouragement to those around us. That our strength and willingness to move from our sin can in turn give weaker Christians the strength to move past their sins as well.

I encourage you to search your heart. Ask the Lord to show you the issues that are in your life. To handle His discipline with strength and gratitude. When you handle yourself in this manner, just think of the lives that you could be an encouragement to! What an amazing thought and promise from our Lord.

No comments:

Post a Comment